Sunday 6 April 2014

Learning How To Be Content

Contentment. We all struggle with it. We all want more from life. We all want things we don't necessarily need. But we are humans, we will always want something we don't need. I mean, look at celebrities, they are so RICH, filled with fame and fortune, yet they seem so unhappy (some of them) and end up losing their lives to drugs, end up in rehab, end up addicted to drugs, go from relationship to relationship, getting divorced and remarried. I mean, honestly, it's ridiculous.

I remember, as a little girl, I used to look UP TO Beyonce. I used to WANT to be her and in fact, ended up dressing like her...to the extent where I would wear revealing clothes, put on a mass of make up and listen to all her music, I mean, I idolised her. But then I got saved...


God tells us to "keep our lives free from the love of money and to be content with what we have, for he has said he 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" - Hebrews 13:5. Isn't that enough to just put a smile on our faces? God  tells us to BE CONTENT. Do you know what contentment means? It means to be SATISFIED and be filled with JOY no matter what we are going through. But that's also a learning process because Paul said himself "I have leant in, whatever situation, to be content" - Phillipians 4:11-13

But that is SO hard, isn't it? But I was directed to a bible verse, and in fact, it is now one of my favourite verses, Psalm 139:14 - God SHAPED me and MOLDED me, who am I to question how he made me? He carefully crafted my body, every single detail of it. I am MARVELLOUSLY MADE, beautifully made, in fact, the Word tells me I am FEARFULLY MADE and I really do worship in adoration, because I am a beautiful creation. I also know I am made in the image of God. The very IMAGE of God. He formed me in my mother's WOMB, so I can never complain or not be content with the way he has made/formed me. I can never question Him.


I'm also reminded of David's prayer to God. Psalm 73
"Surely, God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost slipped, I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
They have no struggles, their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from common human burdens, they are not plagued by human ills. Therefore, pride is their necklace, they clothe themselves with violence. From their callous hearts comes iniquity (sin), their evil imaginations have no limits. They scoff and speak with malice, with arrogance, they threaten oppression. Their mouths claim to heaven and their tongues take possession of the earth. Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance. They say 'how would God know? Does the Most High know anything?'
Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence. All day long, I have been afflicted and every morning brings new punishments. When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply, till I entered the presence of God, then I understood their final destiny..."


How can we learn to be content?

Well...

1. Learn to give thanks for every little thing you have - I try and do this as often as I can. In fact, I have a prayer journal where I try and write my prayers of thanks to God. You can always read Psalms (there are a lot of thankful prayers in there) - 1 Thessalonians 5:18 - "Be cheerful no matter what, pray all the time, thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you, who belong to Jesus Christ, to live"

2. Learn to be satisfied with the little you have - We all struggle with this because we always want more - 1 Timothy 6:6 - We came to this world with nothing and we will leave this world with nothing

3. Learn to be happy for others' well-being - When something GOOD happens to someone else, be HAPPY. It's no good being jealous, being envious of what they have. Be happy, be glad. They are a friend, why should you feel the need to rebuke them because something good happened to them? - Phillipians 2:3-4 - Learn to value OTHERS above yourself, not looking at your own interests, but the interests of others.

Anyway, that's a Sunday post for me. It's something I was just thinking about. It's always a struggle but being content with what you have means you will be so much more thankful for what you will get and what will come to you.

Be Content. x

No comments:

Post a Comment